NSW RMS Acreditted
One Day Courses
No RMS Driving test required, all internal
We will any beat any quoted price by 5%
LR - Light Rigid
- small trucks with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) up to 8 tonnes. Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM
- buses that seat more than 12 adults, including the driver, and a GVM up to 8 tonnes.
MR - Medium Rigid
MR vehicles include:
- trucks and buses with a GVM more than 8 tonnes and 2 axles
- any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM.
HR - Heavy Rigid
- trucks and buses with a GVM more than 8 tonnes, and 3 or more axles
- any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM
- bendy buses. Even though these vehicles are articulated, they’re treated as rigid vehicles.
HC - Heavy Combination
- articulated vehicles with 3 or more axles
- heavy rigid vehicle trailer combinations including unladen dolly, with 3 or more axles
- any towed trailer with a GVM more than 9 tonnes.
Heavy vehicle licence classes
There are 5 different classes of a heavy vehicle licence. Each class has minimum requirements you must meet to upgrade your licence to the next class. These requirements vary depending on the licence class.
For example, if you are upgrading to a Multi Combination (MC) licence, you must have held a Heavy Rigid (HR) or Heavy Combination (HC) licence for at least 1 year.
LR – Light Rigid – small buses or trucks.
MR – Medium Rigid – medium rigid trucks or buses.
HR – Heavy Rigid – heavy rigid trucks or buses (including articulated buses).
HC – Heavy Combination – heavy articulated vehicles.
MC – Multi Combination – B-doubles, prime mover, low loader dolly and low loader combinations, road trains.
You can also drive vehicles covered by a lighter licence class (all those that are above your licence class in this list). This does not include motorcycles.
Applying for the HVCBA
Before applying for the HVCBA you’ll need to go to a service centre in person and:
- provide a completed Licence Application form (PDF 404.42KB)
- provide acceptable proof of identity
- pass an eyesight test (unless you’re exempt)
- provide a medical assessment report (if applying for an MC licence)
- pass the Heavy Vehicle Knowledge Test
- pay the appropriate fee.
Once you’ve completed these requirements you will be issued with an HVCBA Learner Log Book.
Once you have your log book, give us a call or book in to arrange your training and assessment.
You’ll also be given the Guide to Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment publication. The guide outlines the tasks you need to perform to complete the training course and the assessment.
Assessors and instructors
You can only be assessed by a Transport-accredited RTO assessor. All accredited assessors are licensed driving instructors, so they can train and assess you.
Once you complete all of the mandatory training and assessment hours, you’ll need to take a Final Competency Assessment.
It is a requirement that training and assessment are conducted by different assessors. This means that the assessor who delivers your training course must not be the same assessor who conducts your Final Competency Assessment. Your RTO will organise this.
Couldn’t ask for a better bunch of trainers, facilities and help given to ensure not just myself but everyone in my class was well prepared and efficient in their respective tickets. Kudo’s gents I’ll recommend you to all the workforce.
“Very happy with the training I received, all the staff were very friendly and welcoming! The trainer (Fred) I had was awesome and he was very thorough with explaining how to operate and drive trucks, plus the assessor was fair and friendly. Definitely took the pressure off doing my training and passing my assessment with the utmost professionalism! Thanks so much FHV team!“
“A better experience than I expected. Patient, friendly staff with excellent knowledge and the ability to pass it on with professional integrity. Saving a couple of hundred bucks against their competitors was never so rewarding… I thoroughly recommend FHV Driver training for both value and confidence in their instruction.“
These guys are the best in the buisness.. All my workers now have tickets and the pricing was cheaper than expected.. highly rate and once again thank you Sam and Milan.